WELCOME!

This blog is dedicated to stamping, tips, musings, and whatever I want to post. I want my cards to make you smile. You may copy, post, pin, anything you want. To me this is a sharing hobby.

Saturday, November 17, 2007

Onyx Expressions Review

I got my 2 Onyx Expressions Christmas stamps today. I have a mixed review and will show some cards later this week. I pre-ordered these November releases on October 22, they shipped Nov. 10 and arrived today Nov. 17. I got 15% off for pre-ordering. The site says that the black rubber takes ink well and you can see where you have inked. Not my experience. I thoroughly inked and reinked because even under good light on on a slant I could not for the life of me tell if it was inked on the jet black rubber. I stamped and got a light gray impression. I knew I had to have put enough Palette Noir permanent black ink on it so I knew it was the rubber. This rubber feels harder to the touch than red rubber and was very slick although I could not see if it was beading up or not on the rubber. I gave the stamp a good rub down with a pink eraser and got a much better although still not satisfactory image. I tried pigment ink and then got a nice result. After re-erasing several times and inking and stamping and scrubbing at it, I finally got a pretty good result. I think I will probably be black embossing the bird one because it just isn't black enough for me at this point.

Will I buy again? Probably, because I do love their images. I will not order if I am in a hurry as many places get my stamps to me within 2-3 days of release. I will buy them knowing they are going to take a good work over to get them up to shape. Additionally, you cannot begin to tell if you have cleaned your stamp or not before storing them and you will probably spend a lot of time inking in order to be sure of a decent image. I tried a couple of colored dye inks and they were virtually invisible on the stamp.

Watch for a bird card and an ornament card later this week. I DO love the images, I just wish they were clear or red rubber.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you use glossy card stock? I have had great results with the black Onyx unmounteds; however, my order that came in yesterday had a note stuck on one from Cheryl that said it would give a better image if it had the rubber cushion on it, so I'll mount 'er up on cushion. I, too, really like Onyx designs and own several.
Nelda in TN

Jackie said...

I have many OnyxXpressions stamps and being able to see the ink is not any different than having pink or yellow ink on red rubber - you have to hold the stamp at an angle and then you can see the ink fine. Mine stamp beautifully and I love how deeply etched they are!