WELCOME!

This blog is dedicated to stamping, tips, musings, and whatever I want to post. I want my cards to make you smile. You may copy, post, pin, anything you want. To me this is a sharing hobby.

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

What Do You Think of the New SU Catalog?

Several readers are saying they would like me to review the new catalog, so here goes.

I love the new cover and I think the scalloped edge is really nice.

I had heard there was not that much that was new, but either I don't remember lots of things or there really was more new than I expected.

The prices are up on the new sets. All the new sets are die-cut and that may be the reason they are so much pricier than I expected.

Yes, I do like the Sock Monkey, but not sure I will buy it. It is only the monkey that I would need, since I have plenty of stamps that would make good "accessories" to begin with. I don't think I can justify nearly $30 for that single monkey stamp (after shipping and taxes too).

I ordered "Heard from the Heart" and the reason is that I love the size and font of these sentiments. That they were 15% off kind of pushed me over the edge as I had intended to wait on those.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE some of the new designer papers. I had promised myself to quit buying paper but the Bella Rose and Holiday Treats sets were just too wonderful. Our demo had the Bella Rose papers displayed as well as some cards made with them and the vintage look, pretty colors, and coordinating papers are just the style I cannot get enough of lately. They are so good I am hardly going to be able to cut into them! Holiday Treats looked almost as good and so I succumbed!

The new colors did not thrill me to death, but I can see myself using the red and the pink, although the colors are very close to Ruby Red (new one just a little more intense) and the pink one is very close to PTI Blush. I will probably get a pack of each though because they go with the Bella Rose. I liked the Pacific Point. It is new and different and perfect for masculine cards. I do lots of ocean theme cards and it is an ocean kind of color.

I am anxious to see the die cut options coming out.

Some of the wheels are appealing and I continue to consider them a very cost effective way to stamp.

I will be ordering more Fresh Cut notes. Too cute and I will use them regularly.

The Classified background stamp intrigues me and I can think of a few ways to use it. I don't really care for what is written on it but I like how it looks from an artistic standpoint. I think you could highlight things on it to make a card.

I think I liked this catalog a bit more than last year. There are some sets I am drawn to, but the prices are a bit off-putting considering they are wood and clear is SO much less expensive these days. I also won't buy 2-3 step stamps anymore unless they are clear.

As always there are some images that are nice enough that I just swallow the cost, rip them off the wood, and use them!

I think SU's decision to bring die cutting into the mix was a good one. They need to pay attention to what we stampers are doing and provide options and I felt that this year they kicked it up a notch. I am still amazed they have not gone unmounted or even clear. I think their competition are taking a market share in this area that SU stampers would love to see available through SU.

No comments: