WELCOME!

This blog is dedicated to stamping, tips, musings, and whatever I want to post. I want my cards to make you smile. You may copy, post, pin, anything you want. To me this is a sharing hobby.

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Personal Issue

I usually don't share personal issues on this blog but I am doing it today for a reason. 5 years ago when my husband was 49, he was diagnosed with Early Onset Parkinson's (what Michael J. Fox has). The disease has progressed to the point where he has a lot of pain--much more common in young people with PD. We have decided, with the urging of his doctor, to have the Deep Brain Surgery, possibly as early as next month.

The reason I am sharing this is that I am interested in any readers who have had family members or close friends who have had this surgery in the last 5-6 years (many changes have happened in the surgery since 2000) to share with me their experiences by emailing me at rubyslippers@neofast.net.

We have an outstanding doctor and an outstanding surgeon in Seattle and people to stay with while we undergo the 2 surgeries required and some of the follow up. We have been told the risk is around 5% but that our surgeon has never had a serious outcome with big problems. What has been your experience?

Also, prayers are greatly appreciated as we face this, get our affairs and will in order, and do what needs to be done in preparation. Our anxiety is at a reasonable level most of the time, but every now and then I get a real knot in my stomach and have a few moments of fear.

No comments: